Page Header History

 

History

Mohawk was founded in 1951 in Elkhart, IN. In 1956 the company was privately owned by Richard Swope and was moved to South Bend, IN to expand production capacity. In 1958 Swope expanded operations with a second facility he located in Sunbury, PA and subsequently moved to Northumberland. Swope himself moved to PA, and made Northumberland his corporate headquarters. Through superior service, quality, and innovation Mohawk quickly became the leading name in residential wood doors across the country.

In 1987, the company was sold to Nortek, a private equity company based in Providence, RI. It was at this time that Mohawk made a directional change to move from residential manufacturing to commercial and architectural. Mohawk joined American Wood Door and Castlegate Steel Doors to become the Nortek Door Group, and was subsequently sold to Premdor, now known as Masonite International in 1991.

Already recognized as the brand leader in residential interior doors, Masonite® International is known worldwide for innovation, quality products, exceptional customer service and a commitment to excellence. Mohawk is one of the cornerstone brands of Masonite Architectural which also includes Algoma, Baillargeon and Marshfield. Masonite Architectural combines manufacturing scale, industry-leading innovation and expertise to deliver complete door solutions to our customers and the markets we serve.

Today Mohawk is an industry value brand leader for use in offices, hotels, dormitories, multi-family, schools, government projects, convention centers, stadiums and more.